RING: 02060 E-POST: 02060@nettavisen.no
Ønsker du å sende video eller andre dokumenter? Benytt 02060@nettavisen.no
Kontakt oss

Evacuation of Norwegians planned

Franske statsborgere i kø for å bli evakuert fra Abijan 9. november.
Franske statsborgere i kø for å bli evakuert fra Abijan 9. november. (AFP/Scanpix)
As the situation in the Ivory Coast escalates, the Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs is now offering to evacuate 56 Norwegians in the country.

Eirik Bergesen, information officer at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (UD), confirmed that the preparations for the evacuation started Wednesday night.

«We started to call around to all Norwegians,» Bergesen said to TV 2 Nettavisen. «We asked them to stay at home and prepare for a possible voluntary evacuation.»

According to the UD, 56 Norwegian citizens are currently in the country.

«They who wish to take advantage of this opportunity will be offered evacuation with the aid of British planes,» Bergesen said.

The Norwegians who take advantage of the offer will not be evacuated to Norway, but to a neighbouring nation.

More than three thousand western European citizens will be evacuated from the Ivory Coast. France are planning to evacuate as many as 8000 of the 14,000 French citizens in the country. This will be the largest evacuation from any African nation since the decolonization of Africa.

The French Air Force in the Ivory Coast was destroyed Saturday when a French military base was attacked by rebels. So far, 27 have been killed and 900 injured in the riots, and it is feared that a civil war will erupt.

Mest sett siste uken

Lik Nettavisen her og få flere ferske nyheter og friske meninger!

sterke meninger

Nettavisen vil gjerne vite hva du mener om denne saken, og ønsker en frisk debatt i våre kommentarfelt. Vær saklig og respektfull. Les mer om Nettavisens debattregler her.

Gunnar Stavrum
sjefredaktør

comments powered by Disqus

Våre bloggere