The 25-year-old man, who is held on remand for the murder of the Swedish Foreign Minister Anna Lindh, admitted to the murder Tuesday.
According to the Swedish news bureau TT, Peter Althin, the suspects lawyer, claims that his client described in detail what happened when he killed Anna Lindh, September 10 of last year.
On Althins request, Mijailo Mijailovic was questioned again. During the hour long questioning Tuesday he admitted to murdering Lindh. However, Althin does not wish to comment anything beyond this fact.
According to Althin, Mijailovics confession may effect when the murder trial can start.
The question is if we are going to start the trial now or later, Althin said to TT. It is possible that my client is going to go through a psychiatric evaluation before the trial and if that is the case the main proceedings may be delayed.
Possible NATO motive
The 25-year-old has earlier denied that he had anything to do with the murder. A possible motive for the murder is NATOs bombing of Serbia and Montenegro during the spring of 1999. Foreign Minister Anna Lindh and Prime Minister Göran Persson supported the bombings.
Allegedly persons close to Mijailovics were suffered greatly by the bombings.
The Swedish Foreign Minster was stabbed with a knife at the shopping mall NK in Stockholm, September 10, 2003, and she died on the operating table the following day. Swedish police started the largest investigation since the murder of Prime Minister Olof Palme in 1986.
A 35-year-old man was arrested September 16, but released a week later. At the same time, the 25-year-old was indicted for the murder, arrested and charged.
The police have stated that the evidence against the 25-year-old is good, the suspects DNA was allegedly found on the murder weapon.
Althin said that he is not going to ask for another questioning. As a result, the charge is going to be presented January 12 as planned, and the charge is going to start no later than January 19, if the psychological examination of Mijailovic delays the process.
Vill priskrig: Strømmen kan bli gratis frem til 2021
Nettavisen ønsker en åpen og levende debatt.
Her kan du enkelt bidra med din mening.